Discover what’s involved in the process of buying new granite and quartz worktops.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MARBLE, GRANITE & QUARTZ?
The first thing to choose when selecting a stone for your project is to decide the type of stone you would like. When making this decision you should consider; the look you are trying to create, practicality and upkeep of the material.
Marble is a natural material that comes in various colours, formations and patterns and its individuality can create a huge statement when used for your kitchen worktops. Marble can be applied to the floor, walls and as kitchen worktops and bathroom vanity top and when maintained correctly can last a lifetime. However, Marble is considerably softer than Granite and Quartz and therefore, to scratching and pitting. The Pro's are:
- Exquisite Patterns: The natural veining of marble stones are truly beautiful, the flow and blending of colours is one of the compelling reasons to choose Marble.
- Heat Reflector: Marble has inherent ability to reflect heat so floors and counter tops always remain cool.
- Easy To Work With: Due to the soft nature of the stone, marble can be designed with stylish ornate edge designs as it is easier to work with.
- Long Lasting: Marble is incredibly long lasting and can be polished a number of times without fading.
Granite is a natural, igneous rock which is formed by the slow crystallisation of magma below the Earth's surface. This process makes the Granite a very hard and tough material. The Pro's are:
- Easy to maintain: Being a non-porous material means Granite is easy to clean however, it does require some seasonal maintenance.
- Anti-Burn: Granite is incredibly heat resistant making it an ideal option in the kitchen.
- Stain Resistant: Regular sealing of the stone will allow it to maintain the function of being stone resistant.
- Individuality: The various minerals within Granite add depth and character making ever Granite piece truly unique whilst adding value to your home.
Quartz is a type of mineral found in the upper layer of the Earth's crust similar to Granite. This mineral is mixed with resins under immense heat and pressure compacted to create the man-made stone. The Pro's are:
- Easy to maintain: It is a virtually non-porous material, even more so than Granite that it does not require sealing.
- Stain Resistant & Germ Proof: Again similar to Granite, being highly non-porous. Quartz is even more stain resistant and also germ proof.
- Anti Burn & Scratch Free: As it mainly consists of Quartz, the stone has a melting point of 1300 degrees and a surface hardness of 7 MOH making it essentially heat & scratch proof.
- Consistency: The colours and patterns of Quartz stones are consistent over the entire surface.
Take a look at all of our granite and quartz colours, and then get in touch for a quote.
WHAT ARE THE PROS OF SINTERED STONE: LAPITEC & DEKTON?
Lapitec® and Dekton products are non-porous and therefore resistant to staining, mould and bacteria. The materials naturally prevent liquids and gasses from penetrating the surface, making it a low maintenance surface that is easier to clean. The materials are both highly water resistant and never need to be sealed.
Highly UV Resistant
Lapitec® and Dekton are long lasting materials and are completely weather proof. Every slab is resistant to acids, alkalis, deep abrasions, fire, frost and is unaffected by UV rays. It is also resistant to graffiti.
Resistant to Stains
While other surfaces are stain resistant, Dekton and Lapitec are completely stain proof. Even the most stubborn stains like wine, coffee, markers and rust can easily be removed from the surface. Since the materials have extremely low porosity and contain no resins, it is chemically resistant. Drips or splashes of common household chemicals like bleach, drain cleaners or oven degreasers won’t harm these sintered stones.
Maximum Resistance to Fire and Heat
Lapitec® and Dekton withstand high temperatures without burning, scorching or cracking. Hot Pots and Appliances like Crock Pots can be placed directly on the surface with no worry of damage. The sintered stone are non-combustible materials.
Resistant to ice
Lapitec® and Dekton are low coefficient of thermal expansion and therefore, makes it Thermal Shock proof from both extreme heat and extreme cold. It’s natural resistance to ice and thawing makes it perfect for use in even the coldest environments.
The manufacturing process used to make the sintered stones allows for the pigmentation and decoration of the material to be controlled and therefore, giving better colour consistency from slab to slab and resulting in a long-lasting product that will not fade over time. The surface you install today will maintain the same new appearance for the life of the product.
IS IT versatile?
Lapitec® and Dekton slabs provide the most suitable and diverse solutions for construction and furnishing, with the dimensions required by designers. Lapitec is a “full bodied” material it is easy to work and can be utilized in countless applications: from internal and external cladding to pavements, from kitchen tops to ventilated façades. Available in 8mm, 12mm, 20mm and 30mm so can be used as cladding, flooring as well as very thin kitchen worktops. The 12 and 20 mm thicknesses guarantee a slab size of 3365×1500 mm (5.05m2), and the 30 mm slabs guarantee a slab size of 1460×3365 mm (4.91m2).
IS IT natural?
Lapitec® and Dekton are produced with maximum respect for both people and the environment. Lapitec is manufactured only using solar energy and completely inert, containing no resins or petroleum derivatives.
Lapitec VS Dekton
Lapitec Material is full bodied – the pattern runs all the way through the slab whereas, with Dekton the pattern is just a transfer on top of a plain base.
Lapitec is Eco Friendly – Manufactured only using solar energy as it is an inert (chemically inactive) product and does not release any harsh chemicals when used as landfill.
Lapitec is Breton made
Lapitec comes in larger slabs 3365x1500mm
How quickly can my worktops be installed?
In some cases we can supply and install your new worktops in as little as 5-7 days.
Are you competitive on price?
We pride ourselves on the competitive nature of our prices and the highest levels of job quality & customer service. Send us your information for quotation and we are sure you will be very pleasantly surprise at just how good our prices are.
Can I request samples of materials?
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept all major credit and debits cards (excluding American Express) via telephone payment.
What guarantees do you offer?
All of our installations come with a 5 year worktop guarantee.